Monday, September 6, 2010

time for sweaters.

School's in with a chill.
This time of transition feels different. Waking up in the morning, getting ready for class, it all seems a little easier.  Graduation is tangible, somewhat, but there's something in the air.

Everyone seems so studious already - I began studying within the first week.  My friends and I have our routine at our favorite coffee shop, Kaya, and we've been pretty good at keeping to the ever-growing list of things to accomplish (pretty good).  Student Dietetic Association meetings have started, unifying and motivating all us dietetics majors.  And my classmates have been surprisingly warm about my decision to not apply to internships in the spring - apparently I'm not the only one!  The pressure is off and I feel focused and motivated.

Maybe it's the fact that this is Nick and I's last summer, fall, winter here.  I began to think about it right before classes resumed.  This is the last time we watch the trees across the road change into three diverse colors, all circling their trunks.  The last time we watch our retired neighbor bag them all up, every day (literally).  This is the last time we sleep with the windows open.  Carve pumpkins from the farmer's market.  We're not sad, but starting to realize we finally can think beyond mount unpleasant.

In the back of my mind, I felt this relief all summer

Summer carried a nostalgic tone.  Dreamy beach days, chill melodic beats, and shades.  Color!  Summer was fun and energetic with a color scheme to match:



(thanks to Color Collective)

The fun, flirty colorful wardrobe of course made its way into the classroom, but seemed out of place.  There was no hot weather to prolong shorts season and out came the cardigans, dark wash jeans, and flats.  We're muting our colors and polishing the leather shoes.  I expect to take full advantage of the cooler weather tones...



The transition into sweater weather has been strange!  The beginning of fall happened sooner than I think we all were ready for.  I feel disconnected from the changes that surround me, oblivious.  Prior to this long weekend, I was still expecting a September heat wave.  With overcast dominating, followed by continuous rain, the sense of fall is setting in.  A new knitting project doesn't hurt...

I woke up this morning, brushed my teeth, put in my contacts, grabbed a cup of coffee, and hopped back in with a book.  It was marvelous.  I'm not sure if this will ever happen again, but it happened today.

This seems to be the last bit of relaxing I'll be doing before mayhem takes over.  I'll finally be making my way home at the end of September for a 5k and from there on out my social calendar is full!  October will bring my family down for a football game, two weeks later, the homecoming game, and the zombie run back home for Halloween...  Boston at the beginning of November (I can hardly contain myself!!!), and once we make it to Thanksgiving break, the semester's end is a week away!  I'll leave out the gory academic details. :)

I'm all packed for my bike to Kaya tomorrow to study before class, dinner is in the works, and the wine is breathing.  This rainy Labor day weekend was heaven sent.  Time to knit and take it all in.

No comments: