Friday, October 8, 2010

'tis the season for...

Good music.

Music has seasons.  The summer was nice, love you chill wave, but now it's time to revert back to something a bit more solid.

These past few weeks Grizzly Bear has come out, Modest Mouse, and when I think fall soundtrack I think Nick Drake.


I started knitting a hat with more yarn from my stash.  A fun tri-colored cord and then a simple gray wool from Clayton, NY.   Here come the memories!

An impromptu family reunion of the fella's was held a couple summer's ago in Clayton, NY.  First time meeting his brother and grandparents!  His mom and I went to a fiber arts museum and their shop had some great local yearn.  I picked up two skeins, one of which - the gray wool - was a first sheering from an alpaca down the road!

The Thousand Island region is absolutely gorgeous - we plan to buy one of the islands someday.  I've been eyeing this place.   The geological history is amazing; I was fascinated by the landscape!


Along the St. Lawrence Seaway, there is the Boldt Castle.  A wealthy man (proprietor of the Waldorf-Astoria New York, among many other hotels) and his family spent summers here in the late 1800's.  The large, prominent structure in the front of the photo below was built for the children - completely wooden interior, built like a big tree house with a bowling alley in the basement.  After his wife's death, the place sat for 73 years.  In 1977, the state of New York bought the island for ONE DOLLAR.  All tourism proceeds go towards restoration of this massive castle.  The place was beautiful, but touristy. 

Boldt Castle
The "power house"
Most rooms were under renovation
Best Coffee in Clayton!

That was a fun trip down memory lane!  I love buying yarn when I travel, stow it away for a while and when it's time to use it, memories flood back.

Happy knitting/cooking/etc.

1 comment:

Kel said...

OH man, I cannot wait to cast on for an autumn hat. However, slippers have been filling up my kneedles lately. Happy Knitting!!